Post Due Date Dreaming

I was going to write :"our little nugget's due date came and went," but she isn't a nugget anymore!  Not even close!  She is feeling like a real baby in there!  All knees and elbows.  Regardless, her due date came and went on Wednesday.  This wasn't a surprise for anyone, including me, although I was hoping that maybe she would make an unexpected appearance in the days leading up to May 25th. 

The good news is that Mike is done teaching for the year and I decided to make Tuesday my last day, so we have been enjoying some time together with Misha at daycare.  These past couple of days have been rather peaceful as we have finished some projects (our basement guest room is ready!), started some new ones (Mike is replacing all outlets- he is on a total home repair kick), whipped up some desserts (strawberry shortcakes with ricotta filling, one of my favorites), and organized stuff (like an electronics drawer- found an undeveloped one-use camera from 2010...curious what's on that baby). 

I have been re-reading snippets of Gretchen Rubin's Better Than Before.  In a section about knowing thyself better, she asks, "If you had $500 that you had to spend on fun, how would you use it?"  It took me a while to come up with an answer.  $500 on fun?!  Of course, my mind immediately considers what would be fun for the family (water park? train ride?).  But, since the section is "know thyself better," I decided to take Misha out of the equation and just consider the question on my terms.  After some pondering, I decided I would buy tickets to a really great outdoor musical festival and spend the rest on wine, food, and a cute dress to wear!  :)  I asked Mike what he would do.  He said that he yearns for a trip to the boundary waters- even though we wouldn't necessarily need to spend $500.  I said that we could probably find a way to spend $500 on a boundary water trip- updated gear, gas, food, booze, license, etc.  Before Misha, we used to head up to BWCA as soon as we could get it together to leave after the last day of school.  We loved shifting gears into summertime and saying goodbye to another year of teaching.  

Clearly, we won't be able to do either of those ideas anytime in the near future, but we will down the road.   And now, at least we know what "fun" looks like for us right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13