Collected thoughts about style, running, teaching, mothering, and the good life.
Caught in the act!
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Typically anti-technology in social settings...these photos reveal another story. Okay, so I'll admit it, every once and a while, the ipad can bring joy and intrigue to a gathering. But, it is very rare.
Reading Romano's "Blending Genre, Altering Style" moved me to set down the text and pick up a pen. Except for a creative writing class or two in college, I was never encouraged as a student to stray from literary analysis or research papers in my English classes. It was so refreshing to read, "the quality of writing that I get to read is often much truer...the power of the multigenre form makes the information real" (p. 5). Looking back at my own experiences, I feel like we spent so much time exploring the writing and ideas of published authors and theorists. Clearly, there is value in that discussion, however, I think the danger is that we lose the opportunity to develop our own voices as writers and thinkers. The concept of a multigenre paper is so exciting because it encourages students to think outside of traditional boxes. Further, students are more likely to enjoy writing as it becomes a more personal art. Romano also explores the relationship betwee...
About three months ago, give or take, I began talking to house plants. This is new for me; caressing the patterned green leaves and asking them if they were happy. Years ago, I affectionately observed my dearest college roommate addressing her plants by their given names- Good morning Miss Spiderly- but I didn't consider the possibility of real connection. Certainly, I've felt deep spiritual release in the great natural world- coastal trails in Northern California, Utah's unworldly arches and rock formations, the salty taste of ocean waves anywhere and everywhere. But house plants alluded me. For a thirty-something birthday, a friend with a green thumb gifted me a snake plant in a sweet vintage pot. I set the plant in front of our bedroom window and tried not to over-water it. Over time, she started to outgrow the painted pot. Maybe she likes it here. Hopeful, I purchased a hanging plant at the co-op, ...
My news log dated last Sunday, March 29th, tracked Fox local news at 5:30pm. To me, perhaps the most interesting aspect of my log was the amount of time spent on different news stories. The second longest news story (2 minutes exactly) was the first one: the impact of the Red River Flooding on Fargo schools. Following this story, the rest of the thirty minutes was broken into 90 to 10 seconds. Each of these brief stories were interspersed with the reminder, "Weather...coming up!" It was embarrassingly clear that the station recognized that most people watch local news for...THE WEATHER REPORT!!! Let's make a comparison: The weather report=3 minutes and 30 seconds Clip on local shooting=10 seconds Clip on North Carolina nursing home shooting=10 seconds Duplex Fire=10 seconds Greenhouse that can grow crops on the moon=40 seconds In this way, I find that the imbalance of time spent on the weather vs. the rest of the stories is more of a reflection of audience viewing ...
Comments
Post a Comment