Grandma's Vintage Suitcases

For better or worse, in recent months, there's been a familial infestation of relocation. (Sounds like an epidemic, doesn't it? Clearly, my current read, Tracey Kidder's Mountains Beyond Mountains, an account of the internationally renowned doctor, Paul Farmer, has had some bearing on me...linguistically if not career-wise.) But, alas, it is true; underlying individual motivation aside, the challenge of reestablishing roots is nearly habitual in our tribe.

It seems only proper, then, that my mother put aside my Grandma Jean's yellow suitcase set as she cleaned out the fortress of stuff (many treasures, I'll admit) lodged in my mom's childhood home in Pennsylvania. Knowingly, my mom thought I'd appreciate the suitcases (the train case in particular) as I've always been fond of "playing olden days" (a phrase coined by my sister and I as young girls).

In transit from my parents' new home in Cleveland, my boyfriend toted the set across the country to our home in Minneapolis. Such a respectable journey (one of many...I imagine Grandma Jean used the suitcases throughout her own travels) certainly warrants a place of recognition. Determined not to hide their mustardy yellow glean, initially I tucked the suitcases on the floor...maybe a side table??


Unconvinced, I stacked the suitcases on a true side table to give them some height. I considered opening the train case and pinning vintage postcards and old scarves around the mirror. As I looked around for something that would fit the bill, dearest Mike suggested putting the jade plant inside! Brilliant! Propped on top of some Harry Potter, the plant seems very happy.


So, until I can use Grandma's suitcase set for a long train ride out west (and don't you think that'll never happen...the yellow train case is motivation enough alone), I think the suitcases will be pretty happy in their prominent, new home. The suitcase set is a honest reminder that the concept of home is really a psychological one; a part of Grandma and mom's house on N. Hills Blvd lives with me each day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13