January Training Reflections

Month in numbers:
Running mileage: 133
# of runs with running buddies: 10
Swimming yardage: 9100 (5.170455 miles!)
# ab workouts: 23
# of push-ups: appx. 460
Minutes spent weight lifting (+countless minutes of lifting misha): 20 minutes

Strengths:

  • I am feeling good about my first three swim team practices!  The workouts stretch me and it has been motivating to join a new community of athletes.  I am the slowest swimmer in lane 2, but I think if I keep going on Sundays consistently and add 1 more swim workout a week (either a practice or just swimming on my own), I will begin to improve.  
  • I am feel strong on the running front.  It is heavenly to get outside when the temperatures allow it.  I am thankful that I joined the gym and its been fun to do some workouts with a buddy next to me on the treadmill. 


Not so good:
Mostly nutritional stuff...

  • Gained five unwanted pounds over the last month.  I know that is hard to believe with all the workouts but with workouts comes hunger.  And, with awful weather comes boredom.  When I can't get out of the house, it is easy to grab an extra handful of snacks.  I am totally not against snacks as fuel and even an occasional dessert.  But high quantities of sugar, salt, and processed food definitely affect my energy and motivation to engage in life.  
  • Drinking wine or scotch every night.  I am on the fence about this one.  I think a daily cocktail is actually a good thing.  My grandparents did it every day at 5 o'clock.  It is a good tradition but I want to cap it at one drink and nurse that puppy.  Instead of helping myself to a second glass at dinner.


Intentions For February:

  • Set up training bike in basement and move workout equipment into studio
  • Yoga dvd and/or gillian vid 1 x week 
  • Add one more swim workout a week
  • Avoid unnecessary snacking and processed food.  Enjoy simple desserts (dark chocolate, figs with coconut) on a daily basis and indulge in a real treat once and a while (carrot cake!).
  • 1 glass of wine or scotch.  Nurse that puppy!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writing Process (jan 27, 2009)

Genre and The News (April 4, 2009)

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13