Joke's On Us

So here we are- four days on the other side of April 1st.  I have yet to start a conversation without the confirmation, "No baby."  It is understandably challenging to think about anything else.

That said, I no longer support the issuing of a "due date."  It is widely reported that first time mothers typically go at least a week over the "due date."  But still, that due date lingers like light at the end of a 40 week tunnel.  When an expectant mom is turned away at the gate (I'm picturing that cranky guard in Wizard of Oz- "Who's knocking on that door?"), a new kind of waiting game begins.  I wholly recommend an institutionalized shift to the term "guess date."

It's a little ridiculous to think I am edgy over a few extra days.  Soon our little one will be with us for good, for forever.  Mike reminds me that this "late" arrival is a blessing; this week is our spring break so we have been able to relax and enjoy time together before the baby arrives.  Mike's company truly is a blessing.  He has encouraged me to read, go for long walks (Rachel is getting spoiled), write, eat whatever sounds good, and nap in the sun.  If he wasn't home, I would be knocking my head against the table.  

In an effort to dwell on the positives, some highlights of week 40:
Picnic at the Como Zoo.  The air is still chilly but the sun is warm.  I made some ham and swiss sandwiches with the last of the Easter ham and they were delicious.  We also enjoyed some medjool dates, nature's dessert.  Como Zoo was packed...with strollers.  A glimpse into the future...

Our encounter with Target check-out clerk:
Perky clerk: (Noticing the maternity goods.  Gleefully.) Oooh!  When is the due date?
Cranky me: (Without emotion) Today.
Perky clerk: (In shock.  Looking at Mike.) What?!  What are you doing here?  Go home!  Lay on the couch!
Mike: (Shaking his head with what I imagine to be a little pride.) Not going to happen.  Not her style.  

Pileated woodpecker spotting on river road!  This was Mike's second lifetime sighting within a three month span.  I have never seen a pileated woodpecker before.  He was a big guy with a beautiful scarlet hat.  After pecking on a tree for a bit, he flew right over our heads.  A good sign, we agreed.

First Diary Queen run of the year.  As soon as Mike got home from grad school, I bounded (yes, bounded...I do not have a pregnant waddle, thank you very much) up from the basement.  "Dairy Queen?"  Of course, Mike was game!  (He is a big supporter of any pregnancy cravings.)  Not quite nine, we put on our winter coats and strolled four blocks to the brightly lit DQ hut.  (I ordered a mint oreo blizzard and Mike got a peanut butter sundae.)

Finishing touches on baby room.  We headed to Good Will to buy a few baskets for diaper-related materials as well as a picture frame for an illustration I made for Mike when I was living at Slide Ranch.  We also bought a pricer tiered basket through Amazon to store cloth diapers.  Mike suggested that a hanging cloth shoe keeper might be a more affordable and appropriate fit, but I had tiered woven basked in my mind's eye.  Basket arrived.  While certainly beautiful, the basket's materials sticks to the cloth diapers.  Thus, baby will have diapers with sticks poking at him.  We ended up putting the cloth diapers in a grocery basket that my aunt bought for me years ago.  The tiered basket has been moved to another location.  (This story, while perhaps rather dull for most of you, cracks me up as it is a testimony to Mike's patience with me.)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13