NCTE in Disney World!

This past weekend, I traveled to Disney World (perhaps my least favorite vacation destination...I am admittedly part snob, part anti-consumerist) in order to attend the National Council of Teachers of English mega conference! Although "consumer world" itself (Mike's nickname) was over-priced and bridged on ridiculous, I did manage to have a fabulous time and not spend too much money. Actually, the price was really right for me as MCTE (the Minnesota division of NCTE) paid for my flight, my gorgeous room, and my conference fee in honor of an award I had been given- MCTE's early career teacher leader. Truly, I was so surprised to have been nominated, and I felt very grateful for the nomination, the award, and the opportunity to attend the conference.

For me, the highlights of the weekend were many. I was absolutely inspired at the sessions I attended on Friday and Saturday. The teachers and researchers seemed to really stress the value of student engagement and motivation, as well as the potential for "real learning" happening in the classroom if the teacher makes it her job to stay current, emphasize creativity, and be reflective. I really needed to hear this after a fall semester focusing on raising reading and writing test scores, and sticking (somewhat) to a more traditional, worksheet-based curriculum. After this conference, the tides are going to change, oh baby!

Other highlights include spending the day in the Magic Kingdom with Mike and just simply enjoying the sunshine together. We were so funny in the Magic Kingdom. On one hand, we definitely had a great time and made a point to get on nearly every single ride. On the other hand, we almost barfed after viewing the "Carousel of Progress" (Walt's white, hetero-normative contribution to the 1964 world fair) and witnessing a unseemly number of little girls dressed in princess costumes with little Miss USA hairdos and sparkly make-up. Oh god. Still, one cannot deny Splash Mountain's awesomeness (along with that of the Haunted Mansion).

Additionally, it was a blast spending time with all the University of Minnesota professors, P.Hd students, and the like. Wonderful ideas, connections, and stories were cruising across Friday night's dinner table!

All in all, a weekend to remember as an "early career" English teacher. The professionalism and intelligence of all the teachers and researchers I met encourages me to place my current teaching into a broader context. I would love to present at this conference one day. I know that research and reflection is the key to improving our country's classrooms.

Boy! I am totally ready to go back to school tomorrow and put all this talk into action.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13