Mothers

Tonight, I head to my hometown- dear old Milwaukee- for a baby shower...my baby shower!(?)  I've been looking forward to this weekend since our dear family friend offered to host a gathering of all the women who have watched me grow.  "Watched" is the wrong word here- these women have been a part of my formation since I was in diapers.  I've spent countless hours in their homes and nearly all my childhood memories and stories are associated with these women.  Afternoons playing games in triangle park, fourth of July lakefront fireworks, New Years Eve parties, accidents (involving baseball bats and staircases), everyday trips to the supermarket, summertime at Elm Grove pool, 9 years at Mother of Good Counsel, endless days playing in Lake Michigan at Terre Andre...

When I think about the kind of mother that I hope to be, these women come to mind- attentive, affectionate, playful, creative, calm, strict, loyal, supportive, patient.


Comments

  1. Oh, this sounds wonderful. I love the whole thing. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize I'm a bit behind on catching up on your blog, but this post made me smile because it is SO Milwaukee. For a city of its size, the sense of community there is huge. (Or maybe I am biased being thousands of miles away from it and missing it so.) I also have the "village" of lovely women that helped raised me back there, who I expect to partake in the major rites of passage with me. Love love love it. Miss you, Molly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13