Article Discussion: The 'Busy' Trap

A month into Summer with a capital S (cause Summer is for real for teachers), I have had a fair amount of hours to pick apart and contemplate my dependence on staying "busy."  You might just say I stayed busy stressing about my lack of busyness.  (I know this will tickle more than a few of my readers who I tease about their dependence on busyness.  Let's just say this comes from a place of understanding.)  My stress naturally led into some soul searching.  If my schedule is not full...If I am not working full time...If I don't know what the day has in store...If I don't have a plan...Well, what then?  Who am I?  What's the point?  


On Sunday evening, my eye caught The New York Times headline, "The 'Busy' Trap."  Author Tim Kreider argues that busyness is an "existential reassurance, a hedge against emptiness."  He claims that people stay busy "because of their own ambition or drive or anxiety, because they're addicted to busyness and dread what they might have to face in its absence." 


My first instinct is to blame my parents for my own dependence on busyness.  In fact, staying"busy" appears to be a virtue that stems back generations in my family.   But, upon further reflection, I've come to believe that advancements in technology and communication play a bigger role in this equation.  Additionally, I've discovered that without a faith community, "busyness" tends to replace interconnectedness and a commitment to spiritual development as "the hedge against emptiness."  So, in truth, a busyness gene is not the likely culprit here.


Let me illustrate my point with two images:


My Grandpa Len was a prolific journaler.  He documented the happenings of each day in ordinary notebooks, complete with stories of his battle to keep squirrels out of bird feeders to eating cinnamon rolls with his granddaughters at the mall.   He always had hobbies; he had a basement workshop, a bucket of colored markers for drawing and letter writing, and a garden shed full of tools.  On Sundays, he went to church to re-center for the week.  Mass was a non-negotiable.  Based on his earlier journals, a younger Len seemed to appreciate a solid work ethic but he also found joy in the everyday mischief that make all young men smile (cute girls and rope swings).  His credo: work hard, play hard, pray hard.


Fast-forward to a young English teacher on summer break.  9 months of planning, teaching, listening, responding, reading, editing, discussing, reflecting has come to a close and 10 weeks of sunshine and freedom light up her eyes...for about four days...until she can't take watching anymore episodes of "Out of The Wild" (Man!  Overcoming the elements looks so good right now!) or skimming the endless archives of Pinterest (The perfect summer cabin!  A stunning summer hair-do!) or staying much too up to date on the ever growing facebook feed.  She knows this is not the teacher's vision of Summer break with a capital S.  And in this moment, she craves busyness, but she knows that this is not the answer.


The difference between these two images is obvious.  Social media didn't exist in Len's life, and faith was a cornerstone.  In idle moments, Len turned to God and his own hands-on creation.  My personal search for meaning is never going to be fulfilled online or through the entertainment industry. 


In "The 'Busy' Trap," Kreider seems to fault the individual for his desire to stay "busy," but I don't view "busyness" as the harmful element.  The real issue is an addiction to tasks that don't ultimately bring us fulfillment whether that's a sense of accomplishment from working over time, staying home to respond to emails, or constantly checking blog and news feeds.  In the age of social media and unrestricted communication, we are distracted from the things that matter.


Kreider writes, "Idleness is not just a vacation, an indulgence or a vice; it is as indispensable to the brain as vitamin D is to the body, and deprived of it we suffer a mental affliction as disfiguring as rickets."  I agree with Kreider but I will whole heartedly admit that I have a hard time with idleness. And that said, I think Grandpa Len did too.  So, I'll say it again; it is not idleness or busyness that is the problem, it is what we do during these moments and whether or not these things truly bring us fulfillment.  

This brings me back to my Summer.  And frankly, this brings me to consider however much life still lies ahead of me.  What brings me fulfillment in this life?  What sneakily mimics fulfillment and leads me down a path of distraction and anxiety?

For Kreider, writing bring him fulfillment.  He explains, "I feel that four or five hours (of writing) is enough to earn my stay on the planet for one more day...I made a conscious decision, a long time ago, to choose time over money, since I've always understood that the best investment of my limited time on earth was to spend it with people I love."

As fulfillment is somewhat different for everyone, here's my list, in no particular order:

Fulfillment:
Being Open & Flexible: a tune to a possibility or an opportunity when it strolls along...time.
Hands-on creation: cooking, knitting, singing, letter writing, writing papers, drawing, journaling
Being outside & active: camping, swimming, hiking, canoeing, running, biking, walking, sports
Faith: commitment to a faith community and developing my spirituality.  Asking myself: What is meaningful?  
Coaching & Teaching: giving back, working with others.
Family: seeing and loving my family.
Friends: staying in touch with dear old friends and spending time with those around me. 
Travel: exploring places I've never been, watching people, experiencing the culture.  planning trips.
Pushing limits: trying new things that I've never done.  developing skills in areas that I enjoy.
Quiet time: listening to music, playing board games, reading, meditating.


Non-fulfillment:
Being online & watching TV: seeing others doing more or cooler things than me.
Under/Over-commitment: being "busy" in the sense that I don't have time to do the things I truly enjoy AND/OR over-commitment of things I do truly enjoy to the point that I am looking forward for it all to be over...to get a "break."  


Looks like a lot of things bring me fulfillment!  There are probably a few other things that bring me non-fulfillment but I guess I don't do those things often enough to add them to this list.  The next step seems obvious enough: severely limit my online and TV intake and keep returning to my fulfillment list.


So, here's some questions that I am left with for you readers out there:
What do you think about my notions regarding busyness?  Agree?  Disagree?
What bring you fulfillment?  Non-fulfillment?
How can this idea of busyness and fulfillment be applied to education? To classrooms and learning?

Feel free to leave your comments in the comment section OR send me an email!  I am curious!  Also, I would highly suggest reading the article yourself & reading through the comments that readers sent in to Mr. Kreider.  They have many good points!







Comments

  1. i sent this to my women's group i loved it so much. we had just talked about spirituality/fulfillment last month :) love you! xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13