First Semester Reflections!

It is an odd time of year for a transition point.  Winter break and New Years have passed, and a change of seasons is still far off.  Yet, Minneapolis schools proclaims today as the end of quarter 2, semester 1, and I would like to honor it as such. 

For twenty weeks now, I have been teaching 9th and 10th grades; a new...and, at times, headache inducing...experience!  But, I gotta tell you, these kids are growing on me everyday. 

Just last week, as we reflected on Orwell's 1984, a student proclaimed, "I was completely satisfied with the ending of this novel.  In fact, I'd argue that we don't read enough of these soul crushing books!"  Honestly, I couldn't agree more, kid.  Tenth grade is the year of depressing novels so he is in luck.

Why is soul crushing important?  I think there comes a time where we really need to look at our world beyond our ipads and snowboarding trips and endless access to clean water.  For today's teenagers, this requires the kind of pause that sometimes only a novel can supply.  Halfway through  1984, my students realize that we are controlled too...only this time Big Brother is international corporations spending excessive amounts of money on advertising. 

This epiphany sets fire among the teens, and suddenly they are writing persuasive speeches about the irresponsibility of the fashion industry as models are digitalized to appear perfect and the possibility of mandating a one child law among all families in order to protect the environment and improve the economy.  Although these students' positions and solutions may be flawed (and at times, a little over encouraged), I am so proud of them for thinking outside of the box.  It may be my Macalester education, but these are the moments that I hold near and dear as a teacher.

Now, 9th grade is a whole other beast.  These kids are an absolute paradox; outrageous and original while being completely concerned with the perceptions of others.  Every action looks and finds a reaction...usually a loud one that requires them to sit on each others' laps.   That said, whatever I say or do is met with a reaction accordingly, a circumstance in which my inexperience of teaching 9th graders doesn't serve me well.  Fortunately, I am beginning to understand what works with these kids...being real ( a novel idea!).

This year, I struggled to find my footing as a ninth grade teacher at a new school.  I sought guidance and mentorship among my colleagues.  Although this is still very important to me, it's equally crucial for me to listen to my own heart and be real with my students.  I am finding that, for me, being real is being really kind and expecting others to be so too, being creative, being happy and positive, bringing my passions into the classroom, and listening to my students (since I know they are always real with me).














Comments

  1. gosh i love you. AND you are damn good at what you do!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13