wikis in the classroom (oct 6, 2008)

I was introduced to wikis in undergrad (moodle in particular), but wikis did not become a major part of course content until graduate school. Several of my professors have emphasized and assigned collaborative wiki work in their courses. For the most part, I found wikis to be an efficient tool in terms of accessibility, group work, and connecting information/research/ideas through hyperlinks. As a communication device for group work, I have no complaints. In terms of presentation, however, wikis appear, in my humble perspective, as more of a draft than a final project. Appearance-wise, I prefer reading websites and blogs. That said, I cannot participate in the collaboration of private sites, so clearly, wikis are more interactive in a group, and in particular, classroom, setting.

I am working on wiki for my final lesson plan idea, Critics' Circle. This wiki is incomplete in terms of the introductory content pages, but it does provide a framework for my idea. Basically, I am hoping to use a class wiki as a space to exchange book critiques and to start critical discussion about books that my students choose.

In addition to a class wiki project, I would consider using a wiki as a basic home site for a semester-long course. I also like the idea of a research-collecting site where students can all log in different resources and references. Wikis are a perfect example of reconfiguring the traditional author/reader binary. Accustomed to being passive viewers, I think students would be eager to produce their own library of research materials and critical thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writing Process (jan 27, 2009)

Genre and The News (April 4, 2009)

YWCA Women's Triathlon Race Report- 8/18/13